MONITORAPP's Web Application Firewall AIWAF, SSL Visibility Appliance AISVA, URL Filtering Equipment AISWG acquired VCCI certification and strengthened its foothold to the Japanese market. So let's learn about VCCI certification!
VCCI Certification Overview
VCCI (Voluntary Control Council for Interference) was established in December 1985 by 4 private organizations in Japan in cooperation with 'Japan Post Holdings' to take self-regulatory measures against unnecessary radio emitted by Information Technology Equipment (ITE).
Although VCCI's technical standard is not compulsory standard implemented by government, VCCI encourages ITE to follow this standard when the ITE is shipped to Japan and the standard plays a considerable role in improving consumer perception.
Motivation to establish VCCI certification standard
Due to the rapid development of the electronics industry and the spread of information to each household, the spread of information processing devices and electronic office equipment such as PC and fax is increasing rapidly.
These devices generally use digital technology, so generate interfering waves in a wide frequency band, and this interference had attracted attention due to interference with radio and TV reception depending on the level of the interference.
The International Special Committee on Radio Interference (CISPR) in the IEC had started discuss from 1979, and in September 1985, CISPR recommended the "Limit and Measurement method of Interference generated in information processing and electronic office equipment" (Publication 22), and regulatory measures have been implemented by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) since 1981 in US.
In Japan, in accordance with the recommendation of this CISPR, the Telecommunications Technology Council of Japan Post Holdings established a technical standard for the limit and measurement method of interference generated from information processing equipment in December 1985, and asked the requirements for prevention of radio disturbance.
Accordingly, 4 related organizations in Japan, JEIDA, JBMA, EIAJ, and CIAJ, established the Voluntary Control Council for Interference (VCCI) under the cooperation with each other.
Business included in VCCI certification
1) Establishment of basic policy on self-regulation of interference generated from information devices
2) Receipt and preservation of suitability certification report and issuance of certificate
3) Studying the market’s real state and testing post-management of products
4) Researching the technical standard, announcing the research result, and establishment and revision of technical standards.
5) Training technical personnel for improvement of measurement technology
6) Researching overseas EMC regulation trend, researching mutual approval trend, and promoting MRA
VCCI Certification Target Device
1) Scope : The standard is applied to all ITE shipped to Japanese market.
2) Definition of ITE : ITE is a device that has a single or more connection terminal that inputs, stores, displays, searches, transmits, processes, exchanges or controls data or telecommunication information used at a rated power supply voltage of 600V or less.
However, the following devices are excluded from this category.
2-1) Even though it’s included in the ITE’s definition, it was specified by national regulation
ex) Radio transmission and reception equipment specified in the Radio Law, Household electrical equipment specified in the Electrical Product Safety Law, Radio & TV or in-vehicle information technology equipment
2-2) Equipment used in the communication center (within the building managed by the telecommunication carrier)
2-3) Industrial plant control equipment whose information processing function is a secondary purpose
2-4) Industrial, scientific or medical test measuring (ISM) equipment whose information processing function is a secondary purpose of the system
2-5) ITE with power consumption of 6nW or less
3) ITE Division : It is divided into Class A ITE and Class B ITE according to the used environment.
3-1) Class B ITE : This satisfies the interference limit of ITE and is the following equipment used within a 10 meter radius of a residential area.
- The equipment that its used place is not fixed (Portable devices powered by batteries.)
- Telecommunication terminal device powered by telecommunication line
- PC, portable word processor, or peripheral
- Fax machine
3-2) Class A ITE : This exceeds the Class B ITE’s interference limit, but meets Class A’s interference limit.